Saturday 21 July 2012

One thing lead to another...

Papeta, Tameta, Biladiino Toap Per Eeda Ane Palakni Bhaji







Enjoyed a lovely brunch with papeta per eeda, another version of the Parsi dish I have posted a few days ago. I had read about another Parsi dish, with eggs on potato- two items absolutely indispensable in a Parsi pantry.


When I began to make it I thought, this is like a Spanish tortilla, the dish has all the elements of a full egg breakfast! It has representative flavours, textures and tastes of rossti, eggs, fried onions, roast mushrooms and tomatoes and steam blanched baby spinach. All this with an enhancement by the garlic/ginger/garam masala/chilli!

I began to think fusion!

One thing lead to another ... (I invariably laugh and roll my eyes at this phrase!) and here is an extrapolation of the traditional dish!

I had to come up with the name in Gujarati- I hope the online dictionary has given me the correct translation for Gujarati words! :)




Ingredients (in order of appearance!)


2 tbsp oil

I medium onion, sliced and rings separated

2 green chillies (or more) chopped

1 tsp garlic paste

1 tsp ginger paste

2 medium potatoes, sliced thinly without peeling

1 tsp garam masala (optional)

1 cup sliced mushrooms

1 large tomato sliced into half circles

4-5 eggs

Salt and pepper to taste

Baby spinach for topping (8-10 leaves)






Method

In a large fry pan heat the oil and add the onions and green chillies, followed by the garlic and ginger. Then add the potato slices and fry them on low heat till they begin to crisp and turn golden. Flip them to make sure both sides are roasted. Sprinkle the garam masala on the potatoes. When the potato slices are half done, add the sliced mushrooms and stir them around to brown them. Next, organise the mixture in the pan in a circle and lay the tomato half circles on it. Sprinkle some more salt for the tomatoes. Identify the spots where you are going to break the eggs into the mixture and make slight indents in it. Break the eggs into these spaces. You can choose to break the yolks or keep them intact. Sprinkle a little more salt and some pepper as required. Arrange the baby spinach on the top. Cover the pan for a minute or two. All this time, take care to cook on very low heat, so as to prevent the bottom layer from burning.


Serve with roti or bread.

 Tip


You can cook the eggs as you want, runny or well done. It’s a good idea to place the pan under a salamander or grill if you wish. I started making this in a pan with a bakelite handle so couldn’t give this effect!










2 comments:

  1. Shruti...as usual, this is again a great recipe from you. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm! Mmm! Mmm! Looks yummy, now to try it out ... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome weary web wanderer!
I hope you have found whatever you were looking for!
I would love to know what you thought of my recipes and posts- so why don't you drop a line?!