Saturday 31 January 2015

Republic Day Parody

Gajar Kela methi nu shaak


I am very happy to present this 200th post on Shruti's Blog! Thank you my dear readers for your continued love and affection! 

Obama and Modi feasting on Kela Methi nu Shaak and Gujarati Kadhi reminded me of a similar menu I had prepared on the occasion of Independence Day last year, but never got to post - only because I didn’t have a tale to tell.

In saying that, I got my story.


 Republic Day Parody

Carawt Obama, the unabashed liberal
And Modi Methi, the Enfant terrible
One very placid, the other so pithy
Struck a friendship most unlikely
Shakes, hugs, backslapping bonhomie
A big departure from the rules of polity

The world watched as if in a trance
The unlikely, most motely bromance
Neighbours, the un-shareef detractors
The Japanese, the jealous paramours 
Methi masterminded the wherewithal
"Sab mile huen hai ji," rued Kejriwal 

Plain-tain Kela Raw, lowly rank and file
Sat on the back stands with bemused smile
That bold interfacing, the crackling chemistry
“Nice, but hang on, what is in it for me?”
Touched to the quick, I add kela to the pan
Lest we forget Kela, our dear Common Man.

Gajar Kela Methi nu Shaak



The Gujarati kela methi nu shaak generally has ripe bananas to add sweetness to balance out the bitterness of methi. I have used raw bananas and added carrots to introduce sweetness to the dish.

Ingredients

2 cups washed and chopped fresh methi (use the tender stems as well)
2 large carrots, cut into slices or diced
1 large raw banana, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 tsp garlic and ginger paste
1-2 green chillies
¾ tsp ajwain seeds
½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp cumin powder
½ tsp undhiya/goda masala
2 tbsp oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
A pinch of hing
A pinch of turmeric
Salt to taste
A little sweetener/sugar/jaggery, if required.

Method

Heat a pan and make a tadka with the oil, ajwain and mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to splutter, add the green chillies and onions and garlic/ginger paste. Sauté for a minute and add the hing and turmeric. Add the carrots, banana and the chopped methi. Mix well, add a little water and cover and cook on low heat for a few minutes. Remove the lid and add the coriander-cumin powder, undhiya /goda masala, salt and sugar/sweetener/jaggery. Cook for a few minutes more, till done. 

Serve with bhakri, bajra roti, phulka or rice.




2 comments:

Welcome weary web wanderer!
I hope you have found whatever you were looking for!
I would love to know what you thought of my recipes and posts- so why don't you drop a line?!